Outdoor Ontario

Wildlife Reports => Toronto Wildlife => Topic started by: Ally on September 18, 2020, 03:20:20 pm

Title: Deer playing by the lake
Post by: Ally on September 18, 2020, 03:20:20 pm
I went to Scarborough Bluffs Park yesterday, and when we walked to the bay where there is the manmade dam, I heard some noise and looked back finding 5 of them came to drink and recess. The were really enjoying themselves.
So I just sat there on the dam taking pictures of them until my 128G memory card was full
Title: Re: Deer playing by the lake
Post by: Ally on September 18, 2020, 03:21:47 pm
Three bigger ones and two littlings.
Title: Re: Deer playing by the lake
Post by: thouc on September 18, 2020, 03:22:44 pm
Nice kangaroo impression in the last picture.

/Thomas
Title: Re: Deer playing by the lake
Post by: Ally on September 18, 2020, 03:23:08 pm
Thankfully the sun came out when the deer were playing
Title: Re: Deer playing by the lake
Post by: Ally on September 18, 2020, 03:25:10 pm
they had their tongues out a lot
Title: Re: Deer playing by the lake
Post by: Ally on September 18, 2020, 03:26:54 pm
Quote from: "thouc"
Nice kangaroo impression in the last picture.

/Thomas
Thanks. That what I said too! The 1st one: He is doing that stupid thing behind my back again, isn't he?
Title: Re: Deer playing by the lake
Post by: Shortsighted on September 18, 2020, 05:03:39 pm
Except for the species depicted your second last shot could be taken in Africa
with so many within the same photo frame. Now that I see these photos I think
I know what part of the park you visited (vis-a-vis my previous question on the
other part of the forum). You had a good day.
Title: Re: Deer playing by the lake
Post by: Ally on September 18, 2020, 06:45:27 pm
Quote from: "Shortsighted"
Except for the species depicted your second last shot could be taken in Africa
with so many within the same photo frame. Now that I see these photos I think
I know what part of the park you visited (vis-a-vis my previous question on the
other part of the forum). You had a good day.

I did. So moving to see animals at ease. Thank God you figured out, because I have no idea. It's a miracle I didn't disappear into some mysterious woods, I got out to the wrong exit today coming to work, it has been my 9th year in the same company, that is what I'm capable of.
Title: Re: Deer playing by the lake
Post by: Shortsighted on September 18, 2020, 07:08:45 pm
You may not be able to find the best exit when you need it but you certainly find
the best birds. It's all relative. It may indeed be more fun when you don't know
where you are as long as you have plenty of time and can return again, and again
to make up for your current unfamiliarity. So, is there still construction going on
at the western spit?
Title: Re: Deer playing by the lake
Post by: Ally on September 18, 2020, 10:13:21 pm
Quote from: "Shortsighted"
You may not be able to find the best exit when you need it but you certainly find
the best birds. It's all relative. It may indeed be more fun when you don't know
where you are as long as you have plenty of time and can return again, and again
to make up for your current unfamiliarity. So, is there still construction going on
at the western spit?
I didn't see any construction the whole area I covered.
Title: Re: Deer playing by the lake
Post by: Shortsighted on September 19, 2020, 10:28:20 am
Was there anything interesting within the protected lagoon on the western side
of the park? There have been plenty of ducks mentioned as sightings at Cranberry
Marsh, including Blue-winged Teal, Green-winged Teal, and Northern Shoveler.
I was just wondering. I just gave a Mallard call to a neighbours kids. Man, that
call dates back to the late 50's and early 60's when my dad occasionally went duck hunting.
I hope the kids check out Youtube to see how to blow properly. These kids ... so lazy.
Then again, I don't suppose they can relate to ducks, Mallards or otherwise. I mean,
let's face it, ducks don't use batteries, or have an on/off switch. Which reminds me
that my amp has no output and I still haven't investigated the problem. I guess you
can tell that this is all stream-of-consciousness. I'll stop now.
Title: Re: Deer playing by the lake
Post by: Ally on September 19, 2020, 04:09:44 pm
Quote from: "Shortsighted"
Was there anything interesting within the protected lagoon on the western side
of the park? There have been plenty of ducks mentioned as sightings at Cranberry
Marsh, including Blue-winged Teal, Green-winged Teal, and Northern Shoveler.
I was just wondering. I just gave a Mallard call to a neighbours kids. Man, that
call dates back to the late 50's and early 60's when my dad occasionally went duck hunting.
I hope the kids check out Youtube to see how to blow properly. These kids ... so lazy.
Then again, I don't suppose they can relate to ducks, Mallards or otherwise. I mean,
let's face it, ducks don't use batteries, or have an on/off switch. Which reminds me
that my amp has no output and I still haven't investigated the problem. I guess you
can tell that this is all stream-of-consciousness. I'll stop now.

I thought that one eye mallard was quite unique. I also saw a spotless spot sandpiper. There was a lagoon? Did I miss a polar bear too? :x  :x
Title: Re: Deer playing by the lake
Post by: Dinusaur on September 19, 2020, 05:42:09 pm
Beautiful setting and photos. It is time to visit the site.
Title: Re: Deer playing by the lake
Post by: Ally on September 19, 2020, 06:04:22 pm
Quote from: "Dinusaur"
Beautiful setting and photos. It is time to visit the site.
I was so moved when the deer came and started to play with each other. That was so worthwhile.
Title: Re: Deer playing by the lake
Post by: Shortsighted on September 19, 2020, 08:32:25 pm
The lagoon is not the only protected waters at Bluffer's park because the marina bay
is also well separated from the open lake waters. The lagoon (for lack of a better word)
is located on the west side of the park, just east of where I believe you sighted and
photographed the deer.

(https://photos.smugmug.com/photos/i-cVnjgjt/0/642a6267/M/i-cVnjgjt-M.jpg) (https://www.smugmug.com/gallery/n-358cgw/i-cVnjgjt/A)
(https://photos.smugmug.com/photos/i-q6Xrqzk/0/5d5cad73/M/i-q6Xrqzk-M.jpg) (https://www.smugmug.com/gallery/n-358cgw/i-q6Xrqzk/A)
(https://photos.smugmug.com/photos/i-sjBGNjb/0/dc8d6af9/M/i-sjBGNjb-M.jpg) (https://www.smugmug.com/gallery/n-358cgw/i-sjBGNjb/A)
(https://photos.smugmug.com/photos/i-bw8xkXd/0/0fa76dd5/M/i-bw8xkXd-M.jpg) (https://www.smugmug.com/gallery/n-358cgw/i-bw8xkXd/A)
(https://photos.smugmug.com/photos/i-cFNBW5J/0/ad6fb27c/M/i-cFNBW5J-M.jpg) (https://www.smugmug.com/gallery/n-358cgw/i-cFNBW5J/A)

The place where I expect you discovered the deer is at the base of the shear bluff on the extreme west side of the park. I was there once when they were filming something for Murdoch Mysteries.

(https://photos.smugmug.com/photos/i-bw8xkXd/0/0fa76dd5/L/i-bw8xkXd-L.jpg) (https://www.smugmug.com/gallery/n-358cgw/i-bw8xkXd/A)
(https://photos.smugmug.com/photos/i-cFNBW5J/0/ad6fb27c/L/i-cFNBW5J-L.jpg) (https://www.smugmug.com/gallery/n-358cgw/i-cFNBW5J/A)
Title: Re: Deer playing by the lake
Post by: Ally on September 19, 2020, 09:31:43 pm
Quote from: "Shortsighted"
The lagoon is not the only protected waters at Bluffer's park because the marina bay
is also well separated from the open lake waters. The lagoon (for lack of a better word)
is located on the west side of the park, just east of where I believe you sighted and
photographed the deer.

(https://photos.smugmug.com/photos/i-cVnjgjt/0/642a6267/L/i-cVnjgjt-L.jpg) (https://www.smugmug.com/gallery/n-358cgw/i-cVnjgjt/A)
(https://photos.smugmug.com/photos/i-q6Xrqzk/0/5d5cad73/L/i-q6Xrqzk-L.jpg) (https://www.smugmug.com/gallery/n-358cgw/i-q6Xrqzk/A)(https://photos.smugmug.com/photos/i-sjBGNjb/0/dc8d6af9/L/i-sjBGNjb-L.jpg) (https://www.smugmug.com/gallery/n-358cgw/i-sjBGNjb/A)

The place where I expect you discovered the deer is at the base of the shear bluff on the extreme west side of the park. I was there once when they were filming something for Murdoch Mysteries.

(https://photos.smugmug.com/photos/i-bw8xkXd/0/0fa76dd5/L/i-bw8xkXd-L.jpg) (https://www.smugmug.com/gallery/n-358cgw/i-bw8xkXd/A)
(https://photos.smugmug.com/photos/i-cFNBW5J/0/ad6fb27c/L/i-cFNBW5J-L.jpg) (https://www.smugmug.com/gallery/n-358cgw/i-cFNBW5J/A)

Thanks for digging out all the photos. I don't recall the landscape of the first three, certainly didn't see any of the bridges. Maybe just where those people were, the last two pics. Will go again some time soon,
Title: Re: Deer playing by the lake
Post by: Axeman on September 21, 2020, 08:37:44 pm
Those were some really cool pix!
Title: Re: Deer playing by the lake
Post by: Axeman on March 06, 2021, 12:32:06 am
Wait....filming something for MM?????? WHO ARE YOU?? Seriously! We LOVE MM.....we'd watch it as a family ( for years) but my kid stopped after the new doc took over for Dr. Ogden -- she couldn't take the fact that she was not punished for causing Dr. Ogden's miscarriage.....my fav. episode...even though I'm anything and everything BUT Tory....and was not a fan of Harper.....was the episode Harper cameo'd in.