Board shutting down
Outdoor Ontario

Board shutting down

Andy · 32 · 937

Dinusaur

  • Old Timer
  • *****
    • Posts: 1350
    • http://www.flickr.com/photos/60250038@N02/
    • Email
Quote from: "TransAtlanticGoose"
Hey everyone. I just thought I'd give you an update and let you know that the forum migration is going pretty well so far.

Could someone do me a favour and help me check to see if all of the settings have migrated properly here:  https://newsite.outdoorontario.net/
Mainly I'd like to know if other people can:
- Login correctly with your existing password - Yes all good.
- Generally view various topics & posts - Yes
- Able to see photo's / attachments - Yes
- Able to make a post  (doesn't have to be fancy, as it will probably get deleted when I do a final copy of this site) - Yes, I just did a test post, works.
- Able to upload / post a photo Yes, part of the test post that I just did
- If you're a moderator, are you able to moderate
- How does it look on your phone/tablet, if that's something you use to check the forum...

Also, there are a couple new options that I could use feedback on:
- Below all the various topics is a list of recent posts. I've set it to show the twelve most recent posts. - Should this list be longer? I am ok with what I see. The question is will there be an indication like the current site when a post is unread?
- To the right-hand side of the banner image you should see a crescent-moon beside the search button. Clicking this will change the forums colour-scheme for easier viewing in the evening (where the otherwise bright background might be a bit glaring). Clicking it a second time will revert you back to the friendlier daytime mode. - If there is something that is hard to read with these colour-schemes, please let me know.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Guest »


Ally

  • Old Timer
  • *****
    • Posts: 1467
    • Email
Quote from: "TransAtlanticGoose"
Hey everyone. I just thought I'd give you an update and let you know that the forum migration is going pretty well so far.

Could someone do me a favour and help me check to see if all of the settings have migrated properly here:  https://newsite.outdoorontario.net/
Mainly I'd like to know if other people can:
- Login correctly with your existing password  Yes, I can
- Generally view various topics & posts  I can see all my photos of recent posts,
- Able to see photo's / attachments  I can see mine, but not able to see some of the others pics, maybe some kind of format
- Able to make a post  (doesn't have to be fancy, as it will probably get deleted when I do a final copy of this site)  Did that.
- Able to upload / post a photo Did that too.
- If you're a moderator, are you able to moderate
- How does it look on your phone/tablet, if that's something you use to check the forum...  THE Dialogues look Okay, my pics don't fit on the screen when I check on my phones, and I don't seem to find the reply button when I view it on my cell phone.

Also, there are a couple new options that I could use feedback on:
- Below all the various topics is a list of recent posts. I've set it to show the twelve most recent posts. - Should this list be longer?
- To the right-hand side of the banner image you should see a crescent-moon beside the search button. Clicking this will change the forums colour-scheme for easier viewing in the evening (where the otherwise bright background might be a bit glaring). Clicking it a second time will revert you back to the friendlier daytime mode. - If there is something that is hard to read with these colour-schemes, please let me know.

Thank you so much for making so much effort to help this community.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Guest »


JW Mills

  • Old Timer
  • *****
    • Posts: 1490
I'm using Chrome.
In the Original forum I see photos. In the New forum sometimes I see photos,  sometimes I see links to photos, sometimes no photo or link.
I can Log In, Log Out and post but I cannot preview my post.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Guest »
Open Channel D


Dinusaur

  • Old Timer
  • *****
    • Posts: 1350
    • http://www.flickr.com/photos/60250038@N02/
    • Email
Quote from: "JW Mills"
I'm using Chrome.
In the Original forum I see photos. In the New forum sometimes I see photos,  sometimes I see links to photos, sometimes no photo or link.
I can Log In, Log Out and post but I cannot preview my post.

I used Edge (Internet Explorer) and I see similar issues with photos. The photos of mine that don't show up in the new forum are the ones that are private on Flickr stream - all public photos appears OK. It is the private link that doesn't work the way it worked in the older version of the board (e.g. SS's photos on Photobucket). The photos that are attached directly (e.g. Ally's) to the post show up OK.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Guest »


TransAtlanticGoose

  • Administrator
  • Contributor
  • *****
    • Posts: 18
    • Email
Ok, I think I see the problem. All external url's that link to servers via 'https://' links are getting an extra 'http://' tacked on to them.
(ie. external-image links show up as: "http://https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/50398630908_66e1aafbf1_c.jpg", and that's certainly not going to work.)
I'll do some digging to find out where the conversion went wrong.

Thanks for the testing!!

Re: 'The question is will there be an indication like the current site when a post is unread?'
There should be... When I'm logged in, and go into a topic (Say Ontario Birds), I see little red boxes that say 'New' at the end of each thread-title, to indicate there are unread posts.

Re: 'My pics don't fit on the screen when I check on my phones, and I don't seem to find the reply button when I view it on my cell phone.'
Ya, there doesn't seem to be a built-in solution for picture scaling. I think I'm going to try to hack something in to fix this once everything else is working.
To reply (with quote) to a post while on a small screen, click the circle with the three dots (...) to get the list of options, like 'quote'. Alternately, to continue the thread, there should be a row of buttons below the last post. The 'backwards-facing-arrow' should be reply.  (It's unfortunete that on mobile devices you can't hover over a button to get the hint-text to help tell you what it does. :P)
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Guest »


Ally

  • Old Timer
  • *****
    • Posts: 1467
    • Email
Quote from: "TransAtlanticGoose"
Ok, I think I see the problem. All external url's that link to servers via 'https://' links are getting an extra 'http://' tacked on to them.
(ie. external-image links show up as: "http://https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/50398630908_66e1aafbf1_c.jpg", and that's certainly not going to work.)
I'll do some digging to find out where the conversion went wrong.

Thanks for the testing!!

Re: 'The question is will there be an indication like the current site when a post is unread?'
There should be... When I'm logged in, and go into a topic (Say Ontario Birds), I see little red boxes that say 'New' at the end of each thread-title, to indicate there are unread posts.

Re: 'My pics don't fit on the screen when I check on my phones, and I don't seem to find the reply button when I view it on my cell phone.'
Ya, there doesn't seem to be a built-in solution for picture scaling. I think I'm going to try to hack something in to fix this once everything else is working.
To reply (with quote) to a post while on a small screen, click the circle with the three dots (...) to get the list of options, like 'quote'. Alternately, to continue the thread, there should be a row of buttons below the last post. The 'backwards-facing-arrow' should be reply.  (It's unfortunete that on mobile devices you can't hover over a button to get the hint-text to help tell you what it does. :P)

Thank you so much for the patient work and reply. Has to be the best Thanksgiving gift I received ever!
« Last Edit: October 16, 2020, 08:19:47 am by Ally »


TransAtlanticGoose

  • Administrator
  • Contributor
  • *****
    • Posts: 18
    • Email
You are very welcome Ally! - It's always nice to recieve a little unbridled enthusiasm for ones work. :P

I think I've got the missing photo's all working now. - I did a quick test on Chome/Brave, Firefox, and Edge, and they seem to be ok.
There are a few custom avatar's that aren't appearing, but that might be easier to fix individually.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Guest »


thouc

  • Old Timer
  • *****
    • Posts: 2587
I got an error message when trying to upload an avatar:

The attachments upload directory is not writable. Your attachment or avatar cannot be saved.

Otherwise it seems to be working fine, thanks for your effort.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Guest »


Ally

  • Old Timer
  • *****
    • Posts: 1467
    • Email
Quote from: "TransAtlanticGoose"
You are very welcome Ally! - It's always nice to recieve a little unbridled enthusiasm for ones work. :P

I think I've got the missing photo's all working now. - I did a quick test on Chome/Brave, Firefox, and Edge, and they seem to be ok.
There are a few custom avatar's that aren't appearing, but that might be easier to fix individually.
Silly me! Just realised why I couldn't see the three dots or reply on my cell phone. I didn't log in.
You are the son of Shortsighted? When he called you son, I just thought it was a general term.
This is just too cute.  So happy to know both of you.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Guest »


TransAtlanticGoose

  • Administrator
  • Contributor
  • *****
    • Posts: 18
    • Email
Thanks Thouc. - I've updated the permissions for the avatar directory, so uploading should be working again. - I've also managed to find the right location to put all the old custom-avatar images so that they appear automatically.

So, since things seem to be working out ok with the replacement board, shall we set a change-over date for a final copy of posts / messages to the new board?
Unless there are any objections, I'd propose the night/morning of Friday-->Saturday (24th), and I'll put a notice at the top of this forum to let anyone who hasn't stumbled upon this thread to find out about the change-over.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Guest »


Ally

  • Old Timer
  • *****
    • Posts: 1467
    • Email
Quote from: "TransAtlanticGoose"
Thanks Thouc. - I've updated the permissions for the avatar directory, so uploading should be working again. - I've also managed to find the right location to put all the old custom-avatar images so that they appear automati

So, since things seem to be working out ok with the replacement board, shall we set a change-over date for a final copy of posts / messages to the new board?
Unless there are any objections, I'd propose the night/morning of Friday-->Saturday (24th), and I'll put a notice at the top of this forum to let anyone who hasn't stumbled upon this thread to find out about the change-over.

Sir. Yes sir!
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Guest »


Ally

  • Old Timer
  • *****
    • Posts: 1467
    • Email
Quote from: "Ally"
Quote from: "TransAtlanticGoose"
Ok, I think I see the problem. All external url's that link to servers via 'https://' links are getting an extra 'http://' tacked on to them.
(ie. external-image links show up as: "http://https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/50398630908_66e1aafbf1_c.jpg", and that's certainly not going to work.)
I'll do some digging to find out where the conversion went wrong.

Thanks for the testing!!

Re: 'The question is will there be an indication like the current site when a post is unread?'
There should be... When I'm logged in, and go into a topic (Say Ontario Birds), I see little red boxes that say 'New' at the end of each thread-title, to indicate there are unread posts.

Re: 'My pics don't fit on the screen when I check on my phones, and I don't seem to find the reply button when I view it on my cell phone.'
Ya, there doesn't seem to be a built-in solution for picture scaling. I think I'm going to try to hack something in to fix this once everything else is working.
To reply (with quote) to a post while on a small screen, click the circle with the three dots (...) to get the list of options, like 'quote'. Alternately, to continue the thread, there should be a row of buttons below the last post. The 'backwards-facing-arrow' should be reply.  (It's unfortunete that on mobile devices you can't hover over a button to get the hint-text to help tell you what it does. :P)

Thank you so much for the patient work and reply. Has to be the best Thanksgiving gift I received ever!

I just got what Dinu was saying about new messages, on this site, there will be signs on the home/navigation page, when you have unread posts. On the new site, it will be under each subjects like ontario birding. You need to click many to find out if someone post a new one.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Guest »


TransAtlanticGoose

  • Administrator
  • Contributor
  • *****
    • Posts: 18
    • Email
Oh. It seems I didn't fully understand what dinu meant either. (About the indicator of new posts in a given category, not just new reply's in a given post) - You see I've never been quite so caught up that I've read every single new post in a given category, so for me every category had a red-circle image beside it...

So with more careful examination, it seems the new forum has a similar feature. The pencil icon beside each category is black so long as there are any new updates in a category since the last time you viewed the list of posts in that category (independent to whether you've read them all). It turns gray once you've gone in and viewed the list.
It's subtle enough that I didn't really notice it before. - Therefore I think I'm going to change the colours, and maybe the icon as well to something a lot more obvious.

Dinu: Sorry for not understanding the really rather straightforward question that you asked me.
Ally: Thanks for pointing out my obtuseness. :)
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Guest »


Ally

  • Old Timer
  • *****
    • Posts: 1467
    • Email
Quote from: "TransAtlanticGoose"
Oh. It seems I didn't fully understand what dinu meant either. (About the indicator of new posts in a given category, not just new reply's in a given post) - You see I've never been quite so caught up that I've read every single new post in a given category, so for me every category had a red-circle image beside it...

So with more careful examination, it seems the new forum has a similar feature. The pencil icon beside each category is black so long as there are any new updates in a category since the last time you viewed the list of posts in that category (independent to whether you've read them all). It turns gray once you've gone in and viewed the list.
It's subtle enough that I didn't really notice it before. - Therefore I think I'm going to change the colours, and maybe the icon as well to something a lot more obvious.

Dinu: Sorry for not understanding the really rather straightforward question that you asked me.
Ally: Thanks for pointing out my obtuseness. :)
You are very welcome, and I noticed the black/grey pencil difference too, should have said it so I get more pointd :lol:  :lol:  I had been best student in class (nerd/dork) :P  :P
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Guest »


Dinusaur

  • Old Timer
  • *****
    • Posts: 1350
    • http://www.flickr.com/photos/60250038@N02/
    • Email
Quote from: "TransAtlanticGoose"
Oh....

Dinu: Sorry for not understanding the really rather straightforward question that you asked me.
Ally: Thanks for pointing out my obtuseness. :)

Hey, no worries, I didn't give enough details either. You did a tremendous job and this is shaping up to be a fantastic alternative. Looking forward to start using the new site.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Guest »