Apparently Bears Pretty Active This Year
Outdoor Ontario

Apparently Bears Pretty Active This Year

Axeman · 19 · 2617

Ally

• Old Timer
Axeman, I am going to Parry Sound area this weekend. What areas should I be looking for for eagles and owls?

I lost my two newer cameras during a recent trip in Quebec City. I am debating if I should bring my telephoto lens with an older camera for this trip. If I lost this camera, I will be out of business. :(
Sorry to hear about your loss. Hope things will be Okay soon and you get to see eagles and owls this weekend.

Charline

• Old Timer
SS and Ally, thanks for your sympathy.

I didn't bring my 100-400mm for fear of losing my head again. I saw a lot of small birds and turkey vultures in my previous trips. Just hope to capture some decent fall colors or landscape shots.

Axeman

• Old Timer
Charline -- sorry for not responding sooner (although my response is of no value lol)....I could not tell you where to look in the Parry Sound area although there are a number of local parks for a start like Oastler Lake Provincial Park...we have only recently acquired a cottage in the area (mid June) and I'm still getting the lay of the land...that said, I have seen posts on FB from members of the cottage association showing Red Backed Woodpeckers (at a humming bird feeder!) and bald eagles at our lake (Manitouwabing)......from my deck all I get are some jays, ravens (which for me, is very cool)...and lbj's......and I am sorry that you lost your cameras....that sounds painful.....

I took a hike recently on a local trail -- Balsam Trail, near McKellar -- and that was a disaster....I'm glad I had my cell phone and had watched a survival guy recently and had followed a bunch of his tips. I don't suggest Balsam trail...excluding that it nearly ended in disaster for me, it really didn't seem promising.

There are elk a bit north of Parry Sound....next summer I'm hoping to scout them out.

Charline

• Old Timer
Thanks for the reply, .No worries, Axeman. It turned out that  I took the telephoto lens which should be used with my lost camera. I must be getting too old.

I hiked so much in Parry Sound that my legs were barely mine. I know there were bears on Perry Island.

Here is a photo of the metamorphic rock formation from the trip.