Amos pond a little fuller now
Outdoor Ontario

Amos pond a little fuller now

Shortsighted

• Old Timer
Just stopped by Amos pond system to check on the water level since I was passing by anyway. The lower (deeper) pond has approached the banks better but the upper pond is too far into the woods for me to check it out. I did notice movement at the water's edge relatively near the road ... still some muck ... and it was an ovenbird. I keep a mat in the car and went back to get ti so I could deck myself a few minutes. Quite peaceful and a little cool but no wind in that sheltered position.

Ally

• Old Timer

Shortsighted

• Old Timer
I've seen an ovenbird at the Amos pond site before, both in the spring and in the fall. During the fall migration I have seen one as early as the beginning of September to as late as early October and it was usually wet each time. The first time I spotted one at Amos was just a little farther down the trail from the roadway entrance, but I spooked it at the time and couldn't find where it went after that blunder. Getting down close to the south pond is difficult in most places because of an embankment but near the trail's hidden  entrance it is easier and for flooded water in the woods it really is no problem at all provided you're dressed to get down and dirty.

Dinusaur

• Old Timer
    • http://www.flickr.com/photos/60250038@N02/
Now, that's a cracker of a shot. I always see them skulking in the shadows and never in this much open. But then again I am not lying on muck like SS and probably don't have that much patience either.

Shortsighted

• Old Timer
The gods never showed much patience. Perhaps their only flaw. We mortals must wallow in the dirt to be noticed.