Sunny Days
Outdoor Ontario

Sunny Days

Shortsighted

• Old Timer
 SUNNY DAYS
During mid-winter there is a cheerless absence of yellow. Then the sun seems to display a more pellucid white than it does a rich yellow. Winter yellow only makes a brief diluted appearance on freshly fallen snow to proclaim the dominion of dogs in the suburbs. 
I always associate the colour yellow with carefree sunny days and with brilliant Rudbekia surrounding the base of a white-washed lighthouse that stands as a sentry on the crest of a cape-escape to overlook a complementary blue ocean vista, accompanied by the soundtrack of crashing waves on the talus far below the brink, but a slow rhythmic foley not quite loud enough to drown-out the music of the Canadian band Lighthouse’s titular hit song.
The early arrival of neon yellow warblers in spring and the later appearance of the black-topped burst of yellow by a Wilson’s warbler would strike us as burnished gold if they were present in the winter, but are now almost over-looked by the less common visitors and by those rare gems that pass this way. In a tribute to the sun-yellow warblers I offer four candidates: Common Yellowthroat, Wilson’s, Yellow and Canada. When these gems have resumed their journey north there will still be sunny yellow days to enjoy. I think I’ll play Sunny Days once again!

Ally

• Old Timer
Those are some handsome photos. I can't wait to go somewhere with few people and loads of birds tomorrow. I will start my dream now.

Shortsighted

• Old Timer
Maybe you should visit High Park. It has been a hot spot of late, with the Summer tanager and Acadian flycatcher creating some buzz. Just spend your day feeling relaxed and without strenuous expectation. High Park is a big area to cover. The sightings so far are clearly marked on the eBird map, which could serve as a starting off point. Just exploring the paths southward not far from Bloor Street keeping an eye out for other birders that may have located something of interest. Fortunately the weather will be cooler and less humid than it was today. Good luck. Oh ya, be sure to leave your headache at home.