Swainson's thrush
Outdoor Ontario

Swainson's thrush

Shortsighted

• Old Timer
Every morning I hear the same sound and why I should expect my alarm clock to sound any different is beyond my understanding. I also hear a thrush singing in the woodlot across the street. This sound I actually enjoy listening to. Sometimes it sound like a Wood thrush and sometimes like a Hermit thrush, but I really can't keep those sounds distinct in my head. The thrush on the boulevard grass was a Swainson's thrush. It would fly off upon my approach, but never very far. It would perch on a low-level perch just a couple of feet past the grass. Laying down in the grass for a couple of minutes without moving is all that it takes for the thrush to forget about the perceived threat and return to its previous agenda.

« Last Edit: May 17, 2022, 06:03:14 pm by Shortsighted »

Ally

• Old Timer
I haven't seen one this season. I will never be apart to tell them apart either. Like those flycatchers.

Shortsighted

• Old Timer
Id of a thrush by sight is easier for me than by song/call. That's all I'm saying. The Swainson's thrush has a buffy eye-ring and buffy lore (sometimes faint, sometimes prominent) and tends to have a warmer overall colour tone than a Hermit, which has an off-white eye ring, and a rusty rump and tail. The Wood thrush has a rusty back as well and the spots are more balloon-like.

Ally

• Old Timer
Thanks. I just find it easier to ask you every time. ;D ;D  I know Yi oh leigh metalic call of wood thrush. Hope to see one this year.